Solar Power Plant |
The solar electric systems
work on photovoltaic principle. The heart of the system is the
solar cell. The single crystal silicon solar cells convert solar
energy directly to electricity. This electricity then charges
the battery through a battery charger. The electrical energy
thus stored in the battery is then utilized through inverter
(DC to AC) or converter (DC to DC) for various purposes such
as lighting, pumping and running of the TV.
A simple PV system is like
any other electrical power- generating device except that the
equipment used is different from that used in conventional electromechanical
generating systems. The principles of operation and interfacing
with other electrical systems remain the same and are guided
by a well-established body of electrical codes and standards.
The main systems distributed in the field are streetlights,
domestic lights, water pumps, lanterns, electrical fencing,
battery charger, and village lighting systems. It is always
better if these systems are used without battery storage unless
it is a must. As per the experience of MEDA, photovoltaic systems
need maintenance occasionally. In addition, the storage battery
needs to be changed time to time.
Benefits of Solar Photovoltaic Energy :
- It operates on the freely available solar energy thus saving the expenditure on electricity and fossil fuels.
- No fear of power cuts.
- It is trouble free, pollution free, and noise free, has a long life and is reliable.
- Easy to handle and operate.
- Negligible cost of operation and maintenance.
Objective of MEDA Programme
- To promote the use of Solar Photovoltaic (SPV) Systems such as SPV home light systems, SPV street light systems, small capacity SPV power plants, solar generators, building integrated Photovoltaic (BIVP) Systems and solar lanterns.
- To reduce the consumption of kerosene for lighting purposes by replacing the lanterns and wick lamps with SPV systems.
- To improve the quality of life in rural areas through use of environment- friendly solar lighting systems which do not need any fossil fuels or emit any pollutants and are free from health and fire hazards.
- To provide an alternative to the conventional grid electrification for meeting rural energy requirements.
List of BIS & MNRE Approved Manufacturers/Installers
is available on www.mnes.nic.in